Re: [tlug] But too much logs kills the logs: How to Grok Logs

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
 > > So, if you're thinking you can just go to TLUG and download
 > > things and translate them without asking the person who made
 > > them, then you might be making a mistake...Ray

If one thinks that having it on TLUG means permission is given, it's
definitely a mistake.  If one thinks that TLUG speakers are unlikely
to complain if one assumes that permission would be given, but doesn't
bother to get it, that's probably not a mistake.

In fact, I said I would give back a copy of the translated version.
Would this scenario work (I mean being acceptable):
- I get a version of the document
- I translate it
- I send the translated version of the document to the owner (and probably ask some questions
  about unclear points)
- *After* reviewing it, the owner gives me (or not) the permission to use this version
  in my local LUG meeting
- If the answer is "no", this is finished
- It it is "yes", well, somebody will do his/her best to make a correct presentation with the support
  (surely after getting more information on the subject: nobody can discuss a subject without getting some
  knowledge on it :-)

> I was hoping that people making a speech would make it "free"
Not a chance with my stuff; it's at best CC-BY-NC (Creative Commons
license with the "by attribution" and "no commercial use" clauses
invoked -- the latter makes it non-free).  Supporting documents, I'd
probably do if asked, in most cases.

Thanks for that.

  > Public, or not public??

No, it's not "public".  It's owned by the author(s).

Sorry, the term "public" was nor right.

It's probably
technically copyright infringement to put it up on YouTube, but since
that's been the practice for a while TLUG can probably argue that they
have grounds to assume permission.  Of course, if they don't have it
in writing and the speaker complains, the video will be taken down.

Sure.

How would you suggest doing that?  The speakers generally show up with
either a notebook or a USB stick, and leave with it.  TLUG doesn't
have access to the documents in the first place.

I would suggest: Publish all support documents on TLUG, with appropriates warnings
and rights in them (such as what you can find in GPL). The ideal place could be attached on every
TLUG meeting announcement page, or a separate one (not sure what is the best).
The ideal situation would be to have the support document *and* the video (to understand
how the owner made it).
From then, and after all approvals from owner, the translated version would be also published
on TLUG with all information about owner (maybe translators' name added, so people could tell
if something is wrong in a few terms).
And all LUGS could use this same page as reference (links, and not copies), with all modified
versions (translated in my case).

This seems fair for me. Is there something wrong in this process?

Bruno.

PS. I think video and support documents are very different: For the first one, I understand the owner issue.
For the second, I am less sure. If the speaker allows a video to be taken, who is the real owner? You start
to make me afraid about all my holidays pics and videos, hehehe :-) In France, everybody could have *any*
video in which they appear taken off from any public space. We saw that with Google Street, and I understand this.
But this is about privacy (as opposed to ownership).

PPS. My initial question was about keeping knowledge flowing. I did not think at all it would be so difficult :-)
If I know something, I surely want people to know about it too (this is the way we -human- came to where we are today).
And my knowledge is surely not *mine*. I did not discover that earth was not flat :) Sharing is the magic word, isn't it?

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.