Re: [tlug] But too much logs kills the logs: How to Grok Logs

Hi Raymond,

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
If I remember correctly, it was because you're hesitant to
try software (Unison) whose active development had stopped.
 The reason was odd because a lot of software out there has
very little support...some would not even be kind enough to
give you a web page to tell you development has stopped.  :-)

Not exactly... Unison discussion was after my initial question, which was only
about removing directory logging with rsync/ssh...

Discussion went there to "why do want to see Saturn" (to refer to another thread :-)
And we went far in discussions about pros/cons of alternative backup solutions,
logging, emails, and so-on...

But digression (as it happened)  is an human way to progress: it (digression) is not
a bad thing per se , for this reason (I think). This is why TLUG is interesting also :-)

Looking back at some threads, digression seems to be the norm here. Which is good.

But a digression is a digression, not more than a digression...

I don't know about a single word to describe it, but I can
say that another program I mentioned to you, rsnapshot, does
exactly that...

Yes, I think so (I just had a quick look at the doc, and it seems to do the job)...
I wonder how long I would need to handle my current backups... 24/48/100, or more hours?

> (**) In fact I planned a couple of years ago to have a kind
> of equivalent system (cross backup between
> my own backup server and my father's one). My motivation was

rsnapshot can do it over ssh, as well.  :-)

Yes, I believe, too. It seems a good tool.

But if it looks like you're "re-inventing
the wheel", then someone will probably say something...  ;-)

I understand, and I don't hate it, on contrary ;-)
How do you call the "Python vs Fortran" thread, by the way?

Would I have the time to make my 2-3 years backup handled, with any of
these alternatives, we will be there discussing about each of them, for 100 years.
And I received 10+ *alternatives*... If each of them receives 10 new alternatives,
because of their own issues (because they will have, I don't dream), this will be endless.
Stack overflow would happen, for sure, until we - or this list - die (also from another thread :-)

Thanks again,

br.

PS. I bet we are going to digress again, just about digression :-) And no, you don't have to answer
to this. Better no, in fact ;-)

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.