Re: [tlug] But too much logs kills the logs: How to Grok Logs

Hi Ray (Could I call you Ray?),
Quite frankly, you're giving yourself more work than is
necessary.

Say that today, you start the new system.  You don't migrate
the old system.  You keep that up until yesterday.  Thanks
to the hardlinks, you will only use 2 times *additional*
space -- one time for the old system and one more time for
the new system.

I agree, but my "hard-link" backup would be lost, meaning, I need
double space... It *could* work, but expensive on space... This is
why I had the idea to preserve the old backups...

In a few years' time, the old system will no longer be
needed, so erase that.

Me neither :-)

Why spend time migrating to a new system?  It's like DVDs
replacing VHS tapes and hesitating to release DVDs because
then you will have to convert all the old VHS tapes to DVDs.
 What manufacturers did was release the DVDs anyway and, in
time, the VHS tapes phase out...

Yes.

(In fact, rsnapshot phases out old snapshots automatically.
 The older it is, the less frequently they are kept.  It's
generally the same principle.)

Good. Same as mine (I surely don't want to say mine is better).
It seems tu use rsync/ssh, so I guess there is the same logging issue with
directories? Or not? If not, as this is a script, the author found a way to
avoid my initial problem (options, or some kind of "grep"). This would be good
(if directories logging can be avoided)... I will really have a look.
If you run it already, could you show us the output of:
 touch FOO/A/A.SH (or any convenient name :)
and backup 2-3 times?

> I did read it, of course... The term "private" was surely
> not appropriate.
Ok, don't worry about using the wrong term!  I see what you
mean.
Thanks :-)

> "Unpublished"  could be a better word? My question was about
> translating
> material (but surely not meeting or nomikai information :-).
> I wondered
> if *technical* docs were available for a possible translation.

Again, I think Edward's reply was quite clear.  You will
need to see what you would like and ask him to get in touch
with the person who gave the talk.  What you see on the web
site is all there is...there are no hidden documents.

Oops. Not very easy, practically speaking...

Moreover, if someone gave a technical talk, I don't think
TLUG "owns" the materials.  So, if you're thinking you can
just go to TLUG and download things and translate them
without asking the person who made them, then you might be
making a mistake...Ray

I was hoping that people making a speech would make it "free"
(as "free speech"), as well as supporting documents...
 Don't bother with this... This would just have a small LUG club to
"re-invent the weel", if a first document was freely available, even
in a different language :-)

Bruno.

PS. It is interesting to see some technical TLUG video on Youtube,
Video (including presentations by Stephen). But no support available...
So video is public, and *only* video...
Public, or not public??

Bruno.

PS. I am no more living in Japan, so I am surely not at the right place
to discuss "politics", but, except in case of external speakers, who could
have some reasons to preserve some rights, wouldn’t a good idea to
publish all the support documents?

fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.