Re: [tlug] But too much logs kills the logs: How to Grok Logs

Hi Raymond,
> But digression (as it happened)  is an human way to
> progress: it (digression) is not
> a bad thing per se , for this reason (I think). This is why
> TLUG is interesting also :-)

Well, it may seem in hindsight to you as a digression, but I
think we can at least agree that everyone was just trying to
offer various options to you.

For sure, I don't complain for that. Beside that my time is limited :)

> Yes, I think so (I just had a quick look at the doc, and it
> seems to do the job)...
> I wonder how long I would need to handle my current
> backups... 24/48/100, or more hours?

How long to learn?  If you are using a Linux system with a
package management system, then just install it and look
through the configuration file.  30 minutes?  1 hour?  That
was probably my first time and now I just copy the
configuration file to other systems.

With *your* proposal? or the other ones (which seems fine too).
How to make my 2-3 years backups compatible? I would need
to learn the inside (which was an interesting recent discussion
too !)
Or all of them? No thanks. I won't try to transfer my full backups
in 10 new systems to find the best of them. This will avoid flames,
just for a log of a private home directory :-)

Promise, I will have a look, as I am curious. But not in the next few
weeks (or even months, depending on what time I have to spend on it).
Would you be me, would you prefer a 5 min "grep", or a deep search
on many solution? I am lazy :-)

> And I received 10+ *alternatives*... If each of them
> receives 10 new alternatives,
> because of their own issues (because they will have, I don't
> dream), this will be endless.

On some mailing lists, you can ask a question and get *zero*
replies.  And then you end up asking again for help and
again get *zero* replies.  Rather than counting the number
of alternatives you got, you should look on the bright side
and be glad that you got at least 1.  :-)

I am very happy for that, this is what I wrote in my previous email.
And to make TLUG (and you) happy, I can tell you that a (very) small
group  (in Western France) is now watching you with interest. Trying
to find informations that you guys have (they are not as technical as
TLUG people, as I was told by one of their members told me).
This brings me to an unrelated question: Are TLUG meetings presentations
private, as I can't find them on the site? (Ooops. This is not a flame, just a
question. I am sure they are public somewhere, but I cannot find them
to help this club).

Thanks to all,

Bruno.

--