Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 15:08, Chris <chris@example.com> wrote:
> Japan can not close borders to returning Japanese citizens without violating international law ...

Many countries regularly flout international law, and Japan is no
exception. It's a handy thing to hide behind, and on occasions some
countries can use it in novel ways(*), but basically local law gazumps
international law and there's not much anyone can do about it. It's
not as if there's an international police force going around enforcing
it.

Jim

(*) one interesting use of international laws and treaties happens in
Australia. Our constitution, drafted in the 1890s, states the areas
where the federal parliament can make laws. Everything else remains in
the control of the states. There is no mention of environmental laws,
so therefore there can be no federal laws in that area. However, the
constitution gives the feds the powers to make treaties and to pass
laws enforcing them. So quick, let's have an environmental treaty with
someone. Once it's signed and ratified - da-da - we can now have
feseral environmental laws. Works a treat.

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University

Home | Main Index | Thread Index