Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:56:48 +0900
brandelune@example.com wrote:

> I don't know PC makers who sell you hassle-free 3 years warranties for HW
> failures under "normal use" (like dead HD etc). Warranties that cover
> shipping etc. Like you call support and the day after you have a truck at
> the door coming to pick up your machine in a special box and 5 days later
> the machine is brought back to you as new. And for free.
>
> I don't know that.

I had very good experiences with IBM support. I do hope lenovo still
does the same. Though there is a little catch here: IBM was used to
provide support for businesses, where shipping stuff doesn't matter
much. They were never interested in getting the small guy from the
street using their products.

> Also, I don't know a Linux distribution that does multilingual support the
> way OSX does.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does OSX do it?

> Like, I can type French, Japanese and English out of the box on my sjis
> Japanese KB without having to change the KB layout (and blind type the
> French keys).

I dont know about sjis kbds, but inputting french, japanese, english and
even swiss german works pretty well on my sglatin kbd. And i do not switch
the layout at all.

Though, i must say that the standard linux kbd config is way too much
us centric (ie: there is no other language than simplified english)
and even those that support other layouts by default think that it's
enough that you support that layout and nothing more. Ie most distros
are still stuck at l8n and havent reached i10n or even m17n yet.

			Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin