Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:07:07 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>  > They claim to be looking at Apple as the gold standard these days
>  > (sure beats aping MSFT, at least), but they seem to be missing a
>  > key point if that is their goal: at Apple, user experience and
>  > beautiful design rule the roost.
>
> "Missing the point" is unfair, I suspect.  Merely, even Canonical
> doesn't have enough money to ape Apple, that's all.  Good design costs
> money, ask any Gucci-toting ko-gyaru.
>
> Also, developing good design sense takes decades.

Yes, good design costs money and time. Nothing new there.
But why, why do these people think they can make a design that
is good, fits everyones need, just in their spare time?

Gnome2 has already a lot of stuff that i hate (not just "dont like").
Actually, so much, that after trying gnome once, 10 years ago, i stayed
away from it and used just plain X11 with only a WM. No desktop enviroment,
no this, no that. Unfortunately, i had to put "my desktop" together
myself and this costs a lot of time. Especially these days where the
"infrastructure" has become very complex. Hence, i installed gnome2 on
my new laptop. First thing i realized that most things work out of the
box how i'd expect it. Second thing i realized was that they only work
if and only if you want just the most basic features that John Doe who
has never seen a computer before, much less a unix system, would want.

Getting icewm working seamless with gnome? I could not figure out how, yet.
Though xmonad works fine in every sense, but it's the wrong paradigm
for me.

Configuring metacity to match my way of using X11? Only partially possible.
(And i'm dont yet mention the obvious window handling bugs it has)

Changing the theme and not hitting any show stoppers (like
non-working controls)? How could anyone want to change the theme?!?

Setting a default IP for my network interfaces (i use static IPs at home)
which is set at boot up and gnome shouldn't touch it unless asked? Not
possible with NetworkManager (at least, i havent figured out how).

Getting an order on network configurations to try, to speed up getting
a connection? No way!

I could go on here for a while, but the most important "bug" gnome has
is the lack of documentation. Reverse engineering every little thing from
various blog posts is fucking annoying.

I really think of dropping gnome again, and just write some scripts to
automate what i would really use of gnome. I think that would use less
time and would definitly be better for my blood pressure.

		Attila "i hate interface nazis" Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin