Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On 10/17/2011, "Martin G" <ebisumartin@example.com> wrote:

>Turns out Unity just stinks. As in "what died in here?" levels of stinkitude.

Unity is just horrible. My kids couldn't stand it on their netbooks,
either. I had to reconfigure their systems to look like mine (Mac-ish,
using AWN as the dock).

>So I switch over to Gnome 3... and wow... just wow. I didn't think
>anything could suck worse than Unity.

I think it's a toss-up, but yeah...

>I guess I'm basically just ranting, but if anyone has any suggestions
>on how I can get a shell that simulates as much as possible the old
>Gnome interface, let me know.

What I've learned is to stay away from any non-LTS Ubuntu release. This
is a shame, since I've been using Ubuntu since it was in beta. I'm
currently using 10.10 (the last LTS) and when that expires, I'll
consider my options. I might go back to Debian, which is what I used
before Ubuntu.

I've played around with Mint, and it's fairly good. That, or some other
Ubuntu derivative, might be worth trying out.

Ubuntu has done, and is doing, a lot of great work, but everything about
Unity is pure garbage. I don't know anyone who doesn't hate it, and it
isn't even visually appealing. They claim to be looking at Apple as the
gold standard these days (sure beats aping MSFT, at least), but they
seem to be missing a key point if that is their goal: at Apple, user
experience and beautiful design rule the roost. Everything else is
subordinate to that. Unity is a bad user experience and it's fugly, too.

I haven't used Red Hat since the 7.x days, I may give Fedora a whirl,
too.

Jonathan