Re: [tlug] Holy smokes, Unity and Gnome 3 suck worse than I ever could have imagined.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:45:42AM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> They claim to be looking at Apple as the
> gold standard these days (sure beats aping MSFT, at least), but they
> seem to be missing a key point if that is their goal: at Apple, user
> experience and beautiful design rule the roost. Everything else is
> subordinate to that. Unity is a bad user experience and it's fugly, too.
>
> I haven't used Red Hat since the 7.x days, I may give Fedora a whirl,
> too.

Well, it's using Gnome 3, and the complaints are pretty similar to those
about Unity.

I find that doing a minimal installation, then putting in X, and using
openbox avoids 98 percent of the problems I see on Fedora Forums though.

However, if you're gnome-oriented, I don't know how much longer you'll
be able to avoid Gnome3.  You can use Debian stable (as far as I know),
Mint, or possibly one of the RHEL clones, such as CentOS, but Gnome 3 is
fast becoming the default.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6