Re: [tlug] french input (was Unity and stuff...)

On Oct 25, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Darren Cook wrote:

>> Also, I don't know a Linux distribution that does multilingual
>> support the way OSX does. Like, I can type French, Japanese and
>> English out of the box on my sjis Japanese KB without having to
>> change the KB layout (and blind type the French keys).
>
> Bonjour!
> How do you type French with a Japanese keyboard on a Mac?

I use the Alt key to input accents that are then combined to the letter I input next. I use the standard Qwerty/JIS keyboard layout.

I know _that_ can be done in Linux but the problem is that it is not a default setting in distributions. For ex, I can't install Debian and request a Japanese input system at install and then be able to just use the keyboard to type French or Japanese (or anything else for that matter).

> But if AZERTY is what you wanted, it seems to Just Work.

Yes, I know. But that means I'd need to blind type the French letters. I just want to be able to use dead keys on the JIS layout.

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune