Re: [tlug] Slooooooow down: logs, smartctl, DNS? [SOLVED?]

>> So it is more than just for logging. But what security hole, if
>> any, is being opened by switching [sshd's UseDNS] off? Is the
>> answer different for a server on a LAN, and one that is listening
>> on a global IP?
> The security hole is the same in both cases; an attacker may be able
> to spoof a machine where authorized users are supposed to exist from
> a machine where they should not.

A bit of googling on "address spoofing SSH" says it won't work; even if
you say you are 1.2.3.4 the server will reply to the real 1.2.3.4, not
to you.

Taking the LAN case, if machine A only allows SSH access from machine B
(192.16.1.2), and I found a way to get root access on machine C on that
LAN, and gave machine C an additional IP of 192.16.1.2 I can see how it
might work. But I still don't see how a DNS lookup changes anything: if
I can change the IP address on machine C I can also change the hostname.

(I realize I must be misunderstanding something, somewhere, or sshd
wouldn't have the UseDns option :-)

Darren