Re: [tlug] LAN, but no internet

Darren, Stephen,

Thanks for responding.

Okay, part of my confusion has now been cleared up. I thought all
routers and computers were all on one network. Now I get that the
wireless router has, in a sense, spawned its own child network. I also
get that it would probably be clearer to differentiate them with
different IP ranges.

But I'm still just a little lost about how the wireless router
identifies itself and assigns IP addresses.

The wireless router wants to identify itself on the larger LAN using the
same IP range as every other computer... right? So, since the main
router and all computers are 192.168.0.x, then making the wireless
192.168.0.9 means it has a place in that network.

Then, when it talks to my laptop on the wireless, they have their own IP
range, something like 172.16.0.x.

However, if the wireless and router are using DHCP, then it seems
there's no need to even declare that second IP range.

This is how I've got it now:

Modem -> wired router (192.168.0.1) -> wireless (192.168.0.9) -> laptop
(DHCP).

Still no internet though.

Something about how the wireless and wired networks are talking to each
other is still not clear.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

--
Dave M G