[tlug] Slooooooow down

TLUG,

These days it feels like I'm always wrestling with something.

My Mythbuntu (I use it mostly for storing and playing music and videos)
machine is suddenly slow. By "suddenly", I mean within the last few
days. At first, I just thought there was some out of control process or
something, so I rebooted a few times, but it's not going away.

I can click a button or type something at the terminal and it can take
up to 15 seconds to respond, which is crazy slow.

Of course, I run htop to see what's going on, but no single process
shows over 5% usage, and all total process are never above 10% to 15%.

I had a problem similar to this before, on another machine, which turned
out to be Apache running some out of control process. This time, it's a
little different in that I'm feeling it in slow response times, not
seeing my CPU monitor reporting activity.

My toolbox for diagnosing this doesn't go beyond trying to find a
process in htop and killing it. Is there anything else I can do?

Oh, I primarily access this computer remotely, via a terminal, so
whatever I do I need to do from the command line (not that most guys on
this list are big GUI advocates anyway...)

Any tips would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G