Re: [tlug] Quoting...yet again

On 2008-12-22 22:45 -0500 (Mon), Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:49:07AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
>
> > So you'll also try to mention trimming, but top-posting gets first
> > priority.
>
> The trouble with trimming is that save in obvious cases, it's a
> judgement call. Again, please feel free to email me personally when
> you feel someone hasn't trimmmed enough.

Actually, I've never seen a case of top-posting where one could even
begin to argue that it was trimmed enough.

> > Extending your signature to ten lines total, not including the sig
> > separator. :-)
>
> Argh--got me there.  Are we counting the separator?

I don't normally, since it's a nice thing to include for those of us who
have mail readers that understand it. (Some mail readers determine what
part of the message is "message" and what part is "signature" by looking
for a "-- "--that's hyphen, hyphen, space-- as line in the message.)

> Curt, it's a valid point, but actually, long sigs have always struck
> me as the least problematic--the reason being that it's at the end and
> by that time, you can choose to read it or not, once your eye hits the
> name. It's a few more lines to delete, but with emacs or vi, that's
> hardly an issue.

Gee, that's exactly why I like top-posting! :-)

> You feel that trimming (and lack of it) is more of an issue than top
> posting.

Correct.

> You would like me (and/or other mods) to pay as much attention to
> trimming as we do to top posting.

Correct. Or even more. Additionally, I feel that getting people to trim
stands a good chance of making top-posting go away as well, or in other
words, two for the price of one.

> You are not a Buffy fan.  :)

Nope. But a sig is supposed to express one's personality, after all. And
it did give me an idea; perhaps I'll start adding a random Alan Perlis
quote at the end of my sigs.

> If I have correctly understood the gist of your emails, I
> believe it is possible.

You have, I belive, and that's great to hear.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com