Re: [tlug] OT- THE Protect America Act : Was EFF Action Alert: Telecom Immunity Showdown in the Senate

Shawn wrote:
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the NSA
>> could legally (according to American law) monitor any of my traffic.  Is
>> this likely to change if the EFF prevails.  If that were the case I
>> would feel more passionate about this, rather then depressed at sad
>> state of things.
>>

> Since you are not an American, we (and I am not advocating this) can
> investigate you under "THE Protect America Act".

Thanks Shawn for the references and confirmation.  It was my
understanding that even under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act
FISA it was legal to investigate foreign nationals outside of America
without a court order.  It appears that under the Protect America Act[1]
that investigation of data passing through America without a court order
or oversight has also been made legal[2].  Maybe the next SPAM filter
will come courtesy of the NSA ;)

Edward

1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_America_Act_of_2007#Domestic_wiretapping