Re: [tlug] Fw: EFF Action Alert: Telecom Immunity Showdown in the Senate

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> emiddleton@example.com writes:
>
>  > activities.  Though I think it is a bit weak to criticize the presidents
>  > methods (i.e. using a third party) when the EFF is advocating using the
>  > same third party (AT&T) to attack the presidents surveillance program.
>
> I don't see your point.  What Bush is trying to achieve is a situation
> where he doesn't have to claim executive privilege to back up his lies
> about illegal surveillance activity, because the actual agents aren't
> part of the executive branch.  But they would nonetheless be immune
> from questioning.

While I fully support the EFF's actions, and hope they prevail,  not
being an American, it is hard to feel your passion for this as the
legality issue is just that it was American citizens who were
monitored.  Spying, after all, is considered the legitimate business of
the NSA.  The issue that concerns me, was the indiscriminate and
unnecessary invasion of privacy perpetrated by the NSA, and that is an
issue that I don't think any US court is capable of dealing with.  Maybe
we will have more luck with foreign courts[1]

Edward

1.
http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd%5B347%5D=x-347-546365