Re: [tlug] Fw: EFF Action Alert: Telecom Immunity Showdown in the Senate

On 2007-12-18 17:31 +0900 (Tue), emiddleton@example.com wrote:

> While I fully support the EFF's actions, and hope they prevail,  not
> being an American, it is hard to feel your passion for this....

Well, you probably ought to re-think this, as the deleterious effects of
this go far beyond Americans. Consider:

    * Much of your international Internet traffic probably goes through
    America. Beyond just the large number of American servers you likely
    use every day, most or all of your packets bound for Europe probably
    go through the US, and this is not likely to change any time soon.

    * America shares data on suspected "terrorist" activity with other
    countries; that they decide, based on spying on your packets, you
    are engaging in any activities they feel might be associated with
    terrorism, may be reported to your own goverment and put you in one
    of your own government's "suspect" databases.

    * What America does is often seen as the standard for what
    first-world, free countries should be doing, and your country is
    likely to follow suit.

cjs