Re: [tlug] Fw: EFF Action Alert: Telecom Immunity Showdown in the Senate

emiddleton@example.com writes:

 > Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the NSA
 > could legally (according to American law) monitor any of my
 > traffic.

Just make sure you CC an American.  ;-)

 > Is this likely to change if the EFF prevails.

That law won't change this time.  What's important is that contrary to
rumor, the NSA does not have an infinite budget, so less snooping will
be done than if they could coopt the phone companies (which *do* have
an infinite budget :-).  Perhaps even more important, the NSA is
rather good at security, but it's kinda hard to seal up a megafirm the
same way (the CIA's nickname notwithstanding).