Re: [tlug] OT- THE Protect America Act : Was EFF Action Alert: Telecom Immunity Showdown in the Senate

Dear Edward,

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the NSA
> could legally (according to American law) monitor any of my traffic.  Is
> this likely to change if the EFF prevails.  If that were the case I
> would feel more passionate about this, rather then depressed at sad
> state of things.

Since you are not an American, we (and I am not advocating this) can
investigate you under "THE Protect America Act".

As Mike McConnell, the director of US national intelligence states:

"The judicial process intended to protect the privacy and civil
liberties of Americans was applied instead to foreign intelligence
targets in foreign countries. This made little sense, and the Protect
America Act eliminated this problem."

You see Edward, in the view of the the director of US national
intelligence, you _do_ _not_ have the same rights as I do (personally I
wish he would respect your rights more, but I guess there is a job to be
done).

Anyway, the Protect America Act expires in Feb. 1, and I do not know if
it will/has been renewed.

Of course if our Allies believe it to be sensible legislation then I
would of course approve.  Still, it is not something I really think
America should do unilaterally.

see
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/10/opinion/10mcconnell.html

Shawn