Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:04:05PM +0900, Roger Markus wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> >I hated Microsoft with a similar passion to yours five years ago, but
> >as the memories of actually running their software faded, my hatred
> >faded into apathy.
>
> Apathy huh?  Wonderful!  Just what this world needs more of so we can
> more quickly speed into a deep black hole!

Using "I only use Windows because I'm forced to at work" is a kind of
apathy.  Although now I think of it, it's more fatalism than apathy.
Me, I just don't use Windows, simply because nothing I want to do works
well on it.  But then again, I've pretty well always used Linux (before
I started using Linux I had an Amiga--Linux was the first OS that was
interesting enough to make me consider acquiring a PC).

General apathy towards a new product is Microsoft's worst nightmare.
They *want* strong reactions--be it love or hate, because that way at
least they know people are paying attention to what they do.

The Linux-loving part of me would love to see a world where Microsoft
puts out a new version of Windows, and no-one cares.

--Dave