Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 09/07/07, Roger Markus <rogermarku@example.com> wrote:

It's easier to be magnanimous when you haven't been (much of) a victim
yourself.  I've lost a lot of money, time, and work due to the
combination of Microsoft's rotten design decisions, unstable and
unsafe products, and overpricing.

Why?

Dude, I got cut my milk teeth on an Apple IIc (or //c, if we *must*),
but then it was DOS on an Epson 386 -> Windows 3.11 on a Packard Bell
Pentium (80MHz 80586, IIRC) -> Windows 95 on the same -> Windows 98 on
a custom-built 80686 rig -> Red Hat 7.0 on a Dell shitetop -> Red Hat
7.1 on the same -> Red Hat 7.2 on the same -> Red Hat 7.3 (thank the
Lord!) on the same -> Gentoo Linux on a custom-built 80686 rig with
Hyperthreading -> Gentoo Linux on a Dell Inspiron 600m -> Gentoo Linux
running in a chroot jail inside RHEL 3 on a Dell Latitude D410.

So it was all Microsoft stuff for like six years for me, before I
dropped that shite like an abusive wife. ;)

Who forced you to keep using Microsoft products?

Those robber barons have more
negatively affected my life than they have yours obviously, which is
why I'm as passionately opposed to them stealing any more of our
freedoms.

You should be worried about governments stealing our freedoms, not software companies.

I hated Microsoft with a similar passion to yours five years ago, but
as the memories of actually running their software faded, my hatred
faded into apathy. Microsoft matters almost zero to me now. I get
irritated at their hijacking of standards from time to time, but even
IE has lost its stranglehold on the browser market, and
standards-compliant browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Konqueror, and
Safari [WebKit] are making the Web a better place to develop software
(which is what I do for a living).

If Microsoft has hurt you so badly, why can't you quit them? Sounds
like you need psychological counsel more than legal... ;)

I like freedom, and what they're doing to the computer
industry is a threat to us all (dubious patents, etc.).  "If"
(hopefully not "when") they begin to interfere with your ability to
use Linux, your serenity would (or will) fade!

I don't see this happening, mate. I dropped Microsoft like a bad habit years ago, and I see their influence fading, not growing.

Like I said, I can go weeks without thinking about Microsoft at all,
until somebody thinks that "Linux Users Group" == "Microsoft Haters
Group" and posts some FUDdy FUDtacular FUDitude to the list.

--
Cheers,
Josh