Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding / 9.1-9.3 Upgrade

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Steve Smith wrote:
>
>> Lyle -- you don't mention it and I haven't gotten there yet,
>> but when you say "japanese input is working" is it to
>> everything or just mlterm & xterm or what??
>

> It's working in the handful of things I've tried it with - Mozilla,
> OpnOf, a text editor.....

I need to warn you about something.  Regarding Japanese input working on
OpnOf, while it's working fine on the computer I did a new install on in
Japanese, it's not working on the machine I upgrade installed English
(with Japanese support).  Japanese input works fine within Mozilla, but
not in OpenOffice.  The floating box (what's that called anyway?) comes
up and it seems to be running Japanese, but it only appears within
OpenOffice as little boxes.  In fact, it's not an input problem, because
a file with Japanese that opens with no problem with OpenOffice on the
Japanese install version of SuSE 9.3 also produces boxes when opened on
the English install (with Japanese support) version.  I haven't tried
it, but I suspect that Japanese text blindly entered into as those
little boxes would probably open as Japanese on the Japanese box......

So... for full Japanese support, it may indeed still be a good idea to
do a new install of SuSE 9.3 in Japanese.

Mainly I'm just happy that I can finally input Japanese in e-mail, but I
got a rare MS file yesterday that I needed to work on and I had to fire
up a second machine to work on it.

Lyle