Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding / 9.1-9.3 Upgrade

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:50:04AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>
> >Steve Smith wrote:
> >

> >It's working in the handful of things I've tried it with - Mozilla,
> >OpnOf, a text editor.....
>

> I need to warn you about something.  Regarding Japanese input working on
> OpnOf, while it's working fine on the computer I did a new install on in
> Japanese, it's not working on the machine I upgrade installed English
> (with Japanese support).  Japanese input works fine within Mozilla, but
> not in OpenOffice.  The floating box (what's that called anyway?) comes
> up and it seems to be running Japanese, but it only appears within
> OpenOffice as little boxes.  In fact, it's not an input problem, because
> a file with Japanese that opens with no problem with OpenOffice on the
> Japanese install version of SuSE 9.3 also produces boxes when opened on
> the English install (with Japanese support) version.  I haven't tried
> it, but I suspect that Japanese text blindly entered into as those
> little boxes would probably open as Japanese on the Japanese box......

I haven't been following this thread.  However, in older versions of OO
(the 1.x versions) I would get the little boxes as I entered, but
hitting enter would get me the characters.

I use kinput2 and canna.   A few obvious things (and my apologies if
this has already been covered).  In Options be sure to enable Asian
Language support and choose Japanese as the language.  I start open
office with a script that reads

XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP ${1+"$@"} &.

(The ${1 and such is simply the variable--I call the script langx so in
this case it's langx openoffice).  Anyway, I cover all this in detail on
my Japanese in *nix page, but I just wonder if you have perhaps
forgotten to set LC_CTYPE.

Sometimes too, you have to set LANG, or make it LC_ALL etc--there are
various combinations that work differently in different distros with
different apps.
(Note that is for FreeBSD.  The ja_JP line tends to vary with each
distribution, e.g Debian uses ja_JP-EUC-JP, etc.)

> Mainly I'm just happy that I can finally input Japanese in e-mail, but I
> got a rare MS file yesterday that I needed to work on and I had to fire
> up a second machine to work on it.

The latest versions of OpenOffice are not only handling Japanese MS word
but even Japanese Mac Word, which it didn't do until relatively recently.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: I can't put it off any longer. I have to meet my
terrible fate.
Giles: What?
Buffy: Biology.