Re: [tlug] Jp Encoding / 9.1-9.3 Upgrade (Memory)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    Lyle> Based on that, I would wonder if there is something wrong
>    Lyle> with Apacer memory.  Any experiences with it out there?
>
>Bad memory apparently comes in batches.  I know from complaints on
>Sheflug (UK) that pretty much no brand is immune, and (at least in
>England) the famous companies (Toshiba, Samsung, et al) had a habit of
>dumping batches with high failure rates on the hobbyist stores, and
>saving the high quality batches for industrial customers.
>
>Makes sense if you think about it.  Anyway, my guess is that if you
>get a bad stick or two, you might want to switch brands for a while.

It occurs to me in reading that, that used boards taken from old
equipment could be a safer bet than new boards from the hobbyist stores
then!  Assuming they come from ex-company computers that is.  The ones
that are working very well now I forgot to photographically document
before installing them, but they had a three letter name in all caps,
like an acronym.  The next time I open that machine up, I'll have a look
at the name.  Now that you mention it, a few years ago, after reading
(in The Register) about a high rate of failure with some Fujitsu drives,
I suddenly started seeing Fujitsu drives in the small parts stores....

Lyle