Mailing List Archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Lingo] 経由地

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 06:04, Godwin Stewart wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:26:33 +0900, "Nguyen Vu Hung"
><> wrote:
>> If I flight from Tokyo to Pongyang and transfer at Hongkong, then
>> Hongkong is called a 経由地.
>> What is the equivalent word in English?
>A "layover" maybe?

Someone else mentioned "transfer". I think "transfer" is correct if you 
aren't at the airport where you switch flights for very long. When i 
hear "layover" it implies to me that you have to wait awhile at the 
airport for your next flight (more than an hour). I think one of these 
sentences might explain the situation and sound natural:

I'm flying from Tokyo to Pongyang with a transfer at Hong Kong.
I'm flying from Tokyo to Pongyang with a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong.

Disclaimer: I'm neither a linguist nor a grammar specialist, just a 
native English speaker. So my explanation might not be correct 
according to dictionaries or other reference books. Also, other native 
speakers might disagree.

Dan Ramaley                            Dial Center 118, Drake University
Network Programmer/Analyst             2407 Carpenter Ave
+1 515 271-4540                        Des Moines IA 50311 USA

Home | Main Index | Thread Index

Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links