Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

David Blomberg (dblomber) writes:

 > >> Japanese immigration was so very clearly unfair (and, dare I say
 > >> it, racist, because only the Caucasian was turned away) to
 > >> you. That completely absolves you of all responsibility for the
 > >> situation. Perhaps you should contact Amnesty International
 > >> ... they might have been only one step away from putting you in
 > >> the Gaijin Gulag under Narita!
 >
 > Pretty harsh strawman.

No strawman, it's obvious satire.  And ... ya think that harshness
might have been on purpose?  I don't approve of it (on the flies-
honey-vinegar principle, I'm not really a pacifist ;-), but I
understand where it came from.

I can't speak for anyone else (my circumstances are very different
because I'm an academic), but I didn't understand "white privilege" at
all until I came to Japan.  Then I "got it" [double meaning intended]
in spades.

If we want the world to be a better place, we need to recognize these
biases, call them out, and vote against them.

Steve

Home | Main Index | Thread Index