Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Do it like this guy and have a 10W idle / 69W under load machine with a
> 51W TDP skylake.
>
> https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/30/building-a-low-power-pc-on-skylake-10-watts-idle/
>
> You can probably go a little bit lower with the 35W TDP low power
> desktop skylake / kaby lake CPUs. If you want to go lower still, you'll
> probably need to go for those 15W TDP mobile CPUs on NUCs or notebook
> computers.

Yep, I had quite a few NUCs for work (i5 and i7), they run 4K displays
(for 2D, text, etc.)
Love the NVMe inside, it's blazing fast.

Have (I think still) the top model at home, NUC6i7KYK it has even
double NVMe, so I just did a quick check for power consumtion.
It is loaded with 32GB RAM, Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB NVMe and has a
bunch of USBs in there.
Idle is about 21W, loaded (`cd /usr/src/linux && make -j10`) I manged
to get peak of 72W.
Yes, it is not cheap, but is powerful enough for most things, portable
and low power enough to be always on.
i7-6770HQ CPU (4C/8T@ 2.60GHz) and about 2GB/s RW on the NVMe is
fabulous (yes, it reads the whole disk in less than 4 minutes).

If you need less power (on demand) and spend less cash, get one of the
i5/i3 NUCs, opt for NVMe if you don't plan to be showing TBs of 2.5"
HDD space.

Cheers,
Kalin.