Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 09:17, AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai <belxjander@example.com> wrote:
>
> Ahh...  personally I've built quite a number of machines...
>
> and for the most part when building Intel chipped...  the majority of machines barely last 3-5 years before needing to be gutted and upgraded...
>
> every AMD chipped machine I have built has generally lasted a minimum of twice that...
>
> And when I initially did 20 machines for myself (I had the option so went for it...)
>
> I did a 50% build each way with no common parts as a software developer testbench setup...
>
> of the 20 machines...  ALL 10 Intel machines powered down and failed to power up within 6 months of the initial build while the AMD set were all still good at 6 years later. (K6-2 / K7 series CPU timeframe) and that was with 24/7 usage of at least two of them at any given time.
>
> and my general system build results have remained consistent.

Interesting results. My experience with AMD boards is similar (in numbers too), in that the boards were reliable and still running strong before my “need for speed” itch meant a new motherboard chipset / CPU socket architecture elbowed out the old. Ran up to 7 boxes in-house at one time, overclocked… wife thought I was a bit crazy, she wasn`t wrong in that… ;) I did build one Intel dual-core 2.5ghz about 11years ago, still running strong so maybe I got lucky. However, I always paid for premium motherboards from Asus or Gigabyte, never the cheapest so perhaps that helped out.

My question is still the same… how much cpu/speed/mem is enough for a basic file and web server, lightly used, that is good for 24/7 use and cheap on …uhm… everything?