Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

On Jun 24, 2017, at 00:37, Francois Cartegnie <fcartegnie@example.com> wrote:

Le 23/06/2017 à 15:47, kts a écrit :

Wonder if under clocking it would reduce the power consumption? Then I wouldn’t  need to do much at all. I suppose before any change it would be good to source a power meter and see if this machine is really the culprit for excess power consumption. Maybe its the i7 running 24/7 at full load right next to it…. ;)

Not as much as chopping off some cores, that's the reason the U or T
series from Intel always have high freq + SMT and less cores.
(Or you can see them shipping inefficient desktop cpus)

Regards,

François

Interesting idea. How does one go about chopping off cores? In BIOS, or through Linux?

BIOS answer:
Depends...

Linux Answer:
by editing during boot up the grub kernel with maxcpus=   e.g.
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=a8a39729-9d2a-425b-b84b-ecc5c7dad104 ro quiet maxcpus=1
In Windows:
setting a max process speed = 50% in power settings in windows

Nice idea, I will give that some thought.