Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

Regards,
Kevin Sullivan

JP +81-90-9829-9653

On Jun 23, 2017, at 19:02, AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai <belxjander@example.com> wrote:

personally,  go with a decent motherboard, a basic cpu,  and a huge helping of ram and disk space.

IO throughput is more important than speed for web services in the basic sense.

so a basic dual or quad cpu with the best motherboard and some respectable ssd+sata hdds for storage would be my own choice.

2-2.5GHz quad core,
4-8 GB of memory (I'd throw more in if funds allow)
a small ssd for system bootstrap
a decent sized sata drive (or two) as /home raid storage.

Have most of that already perhaps, except the downgrade from 6-core 3.2ghz CPU.
Gigabyte 890GX chipset AM3
16gb DDR3
3x3tb SATA, 2TB SATA, and a 64gb and a 128gb SSD.

Wonder if under clocking it would reduce the power consumption? Then I wouldn’t  need to do much at all. I suppose before any change it would be good to source a power meter and see if this machine is really the culprit for excess power consumption. Maybe its the i7 running 24/7 at full load right next to it…. ;)