Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>>>  > Perhaps it's time to reconsider git?  I
>>>  > actually backed off from it because it kept a copy of the entire respository.
>>
>> Is it the case? If yes, this would be a stopper for git solution in
>> another thread (finding duplicates in some
>> directory trees).
>
> Git hashes each file (that exists now, or has existed in the past), and
> creates one file per hash code.

To be clear: there is no copy of the actual files, right?
Practical example: someone has a disk 90% full of music, pics, and
video. No space
anywhere else. Will git need another disk, just to find dups?

> (So it can detect duplicates in the directory tree; but you could
> achieve the same by just writing a script to run md5sum on every file.)

This was my initial question (and my solution). I just wondered if git
could do the same
with 2 lines instead of my 100 :)

> Personally I don't do that, and just back it all up, .git/ and all. It
> means I'm backing up roughly 2.5GB for every 1GB of real files. I just
> bought a USB3 1TB external hard disk that was priced at 6.5yen per GB,
> so I can take that :-)
> (I don't put my movie or photo collection in git, and also exclude large
> static data sets.)

The 2.5 for 1 ratio is due to what exactly? The fact you have
historical data (so it is on backup machine only), or git itself?

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.