Re: [tlug] OT: Blu ray writer a(and region free)

Hi Raymond,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 1:49 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> > This is what I did when I was living there, and what you do too. And this is
> > why I had 2 blu-ray players
> > plugged on my TV (unfortunately the Japanese one seems half dead), what I
> > would prefer to avoid on my computer, as you may understand.
>
> Honestly, if someone was really "concerned" about this, they would
> probably just buy multiple BD drives.  I did this once with DVD drives
> (more or less like what you said above); rather than trying to figure
> out how to play other regions' discs on a single drive, I just bought
> another drive...the cost was less than the time to figure it out.  :-)

This is of course an option, but not as simple as it seems. I would
have to buy 3 drives in my case (my wife is Chinese).
Just finding them, checking power (if not powered by USB), etc... will
be a challenge. Price is not null too for BD drives,
much higher than DVD drives: Checking amazon gaves me the first price
of EUR 70 for a model suggested before.
This would give EUR 210 if I consider the price will be the same for
the 3. If I cannot find different zones devices in my
country - my first quick search seems to indicate this could be true -
guaranty is another point.

Not easy when travelling too (I want external USB for this reason).
Another reason I keep in mind is that my wife could
want some day to read BD on her own machine.
Having 6 devices (mostly unused, as 70% of BD are region free
according to Wikipedia) instead of 2 is not really appealing
from an IT point of view (not forgetting user and cost - a net loss of
EUR 280/JPY 40,000 according to numbers above).

However, what I understood so far is that region free is maybe
possible. Therefore I will go for testing it first as I wrote in
my previous post, just to keep things as simple as possible in the long run.
Only if I fail, I will start searching Russian web sites (same region
as China) to find region C drive :-)

Thanks to everybody anyway,

Bruno.

--