Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:47:55 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

> Attila Kinali writes:
>
>  > How come professors cannot evaluate each others work? If they are
>  > working in the same (or at least nearby) field, then they should
>  > know enough to judge whether something is potentially usefull or not?
>  > Or am i just to naive in this regard?
>
> Naive.  Especially in the Japanese context, where "knows everything
> about nothing" is not the definition of "PhD", it's the definition of
> "BS".

Yes, but journal submissions are usually evaluated by people from
the field. Or am I wrong?

>  > shouldn't he try to get his students to do "real stuff" instead of
>  > doing just another expedition in an already known dead end, with no
>  > guidance and even less incentive to try new things?
>
> He (the advisor) doesn't know any better.
>
> Your respect for the title "professor" is somewhat exaggerated given
> the current way these folks behave. :-)

Hmm.. I have met quite a few professors during my studies and a few
afterwards. Although i cannot judge them on their field, most of them
gave me the impression of people who knew what they are doing and deeply
care about their field. Yes, sampling bias and all, i know. But that's
the image i have of professors.

>  > I always wondered how this system came to be. What external motivation
>  > is there to publish as much as possible? Ok, if you don't publish (much)
>  > your name will not be known. But isn't a good paper a year worth more
>  > than 10 bad ones?
>
> Not in a system where you are  being evaluated by those whose own
> research is at best mediocre.

Damn. Again those real-world problems. I hate those! ;-)

>  > Hmm? How is it interesting? Beside mentioning of the Santa Fe Institute
>  > it does not say anything about how research is done or how it is
>  > paid for.
>
> Reread it! :-)

Do you mean the first chapter about Brian Arthur and his troubles?

			Attla Kinali

--
I pity people who can't find laughter or at least some bit of amusement in
the little doings of the day. I believe I could find something ridiculous