Re: [tlug] OT: Blu ray writer a(and region free)

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
>> The region-free bit of this discussion (which is 9 out of 11 messages so
>> far) is what I'm referring to as OT.
> In fact (I may be wrong) I was supposing that some TLUG members could be
> heavily concerned on the subject, as many are foreigners living in Japan.
> Therefore they
> could buy videos from their origin country as well as in Japan.
> This is what I did when I was living there, and what you do too. And this is
> why I had 2 blu-ray players
> plugged on my TV (unfortunately the Japanese one seems half dead), what I
> would prefer to avoid on my computer, as you may understand.

Honestly, if someone was really "concerned" about this, they would
probably just buy multiple BD drives.  I did this once with DVD drives
(more or less like what you said above); rather than trying to figure
out how to play other regions' discs on a single drive, I just bought
another drive...the cost was less than the time to figure it out.  :-)

As for BD drives, as you pointed out, USA and Japan are in the same
region.  In fact, both North and South America are in the same region
as Japan -- so not all foreigners are concerned.

Ray