Re: [tlug] OT: Blu ray writer a(and region free)

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:42:35PM +0100, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com> wrote:
>     BD computer drives should all be region free. Locking is done via
>     software. I never had any problems reading region A and B here in Japan
>     (they at least advertise region B and also, none of the drives I have is
>     USB).

Just to come back to this point, this is good to know.  I was afraid as many sites
say blu-ray drives are locked to a region. However some other sites say that VLC could
work without taking the region into account. This is why I was concerned: Everything is
still not clear in my head :-)

Anyway, the only reliable way that I know to play BDs with Linux is by
buying MakeMKV.
Last time I tried (and from archlinux's wiki things don't seem to have
changed much) the process of playing BD videos with free software
involves a lot of wine and chasing BD IDs and keys.

Apparently VLC can read BD without too much issues. Even BD+ can be decrypted,
provided the keys are available.
MakeMKV has also the key problem, as they need them as well.

The region-free bit of this discussion (which is 9 out of 11 messages so
far) is what I'm referring to as OT.

In fact (I may be wrong) I was supposing that some TLUG members could be
heavily concerned on the subject, as many are foreigners living in Japan. Therefore they
could buy videos from their origin country as well as in Japan.
This is what I did when I was living there, and what you do too. And this is why I had 2 blu-ray players
plugged on my TV (unfortunately the Japanese one seems half dead), what I would prefer to avoid on my computer, as you may understand.

In fact I was hoping some of TLUGers would have already an answer on this subject, and you did, thanks.

I will try one of the drives cited in this thread and test different region blu-ray, then. If this topic is not considered too OT, I will let you know the result.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.