Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
  > There is no such "Posix file system". And there is no "inode" concept
 > in Posix, an inode being part of implementation (generally
 > *ix). Posix wants a file system to have a minimal set of information
 > (generally inspired from the Unix world, therefore from a usual inode
 > structure). It does not mean an inode must exist.

Who said inodes must exist?  I just said that if he wants a model
(layered APIs plus semantics defined in terms of concepts at the
current level of abstraction) for file systems that break them down
according to levels of abstraction, POSIX probably provides one.  True,
POSIX's layers of abstraction probably aren't a good fit for NTFS, but
then neither are OSI's a perfect fit for TCP/IP.

I think we just misunderstand,  so last emails are more about semantics, because
we seem to agree on the fundamentals.

I did focus on a previous mail, where you stated:
I'm not sure what you mean by "role in the file system", but the time
stamps (there are four) pertain to various things:

    - the creation of the inode -- should never change
    - modification of the inode (eg, updating link count)
    - modification of the file content (more precisely, any write to
      the file, or change in file size)
    - access to the file (read content)

A POSIX file system doesn't actually know whether the file has
changed, only that it has been written to.

As you mixed Unix-specific (without specifying it was) and Posix, this was not clear for me whether your last sentence was linked to previous ones or not.
Let's say 1) I did not understand your email globally 2) the term "Posix file system" disturbed me and has been clarified by us since then.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.