Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM, LHS wrote:
>> I've had clock problems when running from the optical drive - no idea
>> why....
>
> What do you mean? Booting from CD/DVD?

Yes.

 Likely a timezone issue in this case.
> If it is the case, we come back again to the same issues:
> 1) your system considers the HW clock is UTC, but it is localtime. I am not
> sure you can change this on a liveCD system (again, switching Windows
> to UTC would likely avoid all these kind of issues).

But in booting from a live DVD (some recent versions of distros that
are *supposed* to fit on a CD are slightly too large and need to be
put on a DVD), that would have no connection with whatever else is on
the hard drive, would it?  (Aside from being able to access the drive
once the system is booted.)

> 2) timezone issue (I believe you did choose Japan).
>
> As a workaround, you may try to tell your Linux system that timezone is GMT.
> It will take the HW clock "as-is", therefore it should be correct (even if
> *very wrong* in principle).

Well, in more detail, the specific problem I had was that although the
clock was showing the correct local time, when I copied some photos
over to the computer (from an SD card reader), it changed the
*metadata* of the photos in the process (Very Evil behavior in my
opinion) and so the matadata on all the photos was shifted by... ten
or eleven hours.

I made a wild work-around to fix the issue (too convoluted and analog
to mention here) that fixed the issue of losing the accurate date and
time information that goes with the pictures, but not the computer
problem of mutating mata-data simply when copying photos over to a
hard drive....

Lyle