Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > Even if you don't look at it that way: Couldn't it be that the
 > modification date is concerning the role of the file in the file
 > system and not the file itself? That's an actual question, by the way,
 > not a rhetorical one. It sure would explain some other things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "role in the file system", but the time
stamps (there are four) pertain to various things:

    - the creation of the inode -- should never change
    - modification of the inode (eg, updating link count)
    - modification of the file content (more precisely, any write to
      the file, or change in file size)
    - access to the file (read content)

A POSIX file system doesn't actually know whether the file has
changed, only that it has been written to.