Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Oct 8, 2013 8:24 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> If you want to hear my biased opinion based on Ye Olde Garde
> prejudice, I really have to wonder, "what's wrong with an Ubuntu of
> appropriate vintage for each machine still running?"

My sediments precisely

> ....... Do you really
> get enough benefit from upgrading to the latest and greatest to be
> worth the cost when occasionally things go really south on a mission-
> critical feature?  If you just like BrightShinyThings (nothing wrong
> with that), couldn't you keep a workhorse box (or two ;-) that you
> only upgrade when necessary for work stuff, and a toybox for the
> latest cool things?  If your work depends on the latest and greatest
> hardware and drivers to match (I guess as a photographer/media type
> you really do need the best multimedia support you can get, right?),
> you could run Old Reliable Ubuntu 10.04 "Lascivious Lemming" in a
> VirtualBox (or vice versa, depending on how much performance you
> need for the multimedia stuff).  Then you can easily cut and paste in
> X (AFAIK, haven't tried it), or scp files from one VM to the other.

As it happens I run Olde Reliable 10.04 on my main system and I don't
feel the slightest pressure to upgrade. I suspect the system (a Compaq
CQ61) will die before the pressure gets too high. With 10.04 Japanese
input installed flawlessly on day one.  That there are problems with
later editions indicates a breakdown in quality control that really
should not have been allowed to happen.

Cheers

Jim