Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 23:13:57 +0900
- From: nigel barker <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- References: <CACDLhbbQOXx_A=gS77bzbG7-cSLysxVy9E136j2RVXWQeH3UPA@mail.gmail.com> <CADLSRd4DabhBSiukE+yvwYWoF_q05StexirAe8he3hOkgLSODA@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 8 October 2013 19:56, Hideki Yamane <email@example.com> wrote: >> >1) The installation took a Really Long Time. Not sure why that is, >> Net install? > > Probably he installed Debian with English locale. > debian-installer just guesses users location with its locale, and select > corresponding mirror, so selected US mirror. The installer asks for your location after language selection. If you choose "other", then "Asia / Japan", then the default mirror will be ftp.jp.debian.org Perhaps he didn't choose "other", and got a distant mirror? > >> > 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on >> >> aptitude install ibus-anthy and all dependencies, then configure from >> the menu. You may also need ttf-vlgothic. > > No, fonts-vlgothic. ttf-* is transitional package and gone. OK. Still works though :) > And fonts-ipafont-gothic/mincho package is also good. > # Trust me, I'm those font package maintainer in Debian :) > Thank you! > > I recommend to use mozc, not anthy. mozc is "Google 日本語入力" opensource > version, developed by some Japanese input experts in Google (and one developer > was main developer for anthy). Unfortunately, anthy development has stopped > over years. > > # also I'm anthy package maintainer for these 3 or 4 years, but think it > as kind a legacy software... ;) Last time I tried mozc (years ago) people preferred anthy (scim-anthy in those days). I use it very little myself, so don't really know. Unfortunately I installed ibus-anthy on all my school computers in August, and also recommended it for Debian Edu wheezy. I should have asked here first, like I did for squeeze (or was it lenny). Anyway I suppose we are the only school in Japan using Debian Edu, so no harm done (our kids type little in Japanese). I'll make sure to check again for jessie! cheers nigel
- Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- From: Lyle H Saxon
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Next by Date: [tlug] Weird issue with gnome and scim.
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links