[tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?

Lyle here - new to Debian.  Any general advice about it?  Is Iceweasel
an acceptable browser, or would you recommend using something else,
etc.

Anyway, I'll be Googling and whatnot, but thought I'd mention that I
got Debian 7.1 installed (via command line) on that Hitachi box with a
non-Intel graphics chip that new versions of Ubuntu no longer support.
 Of note so far:

1) The installation took a Really Long Time.  Not sure why that is,
but "all's well that end's well", and it appears to be working okay so
far.

2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the
installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load", but I have a GUI
desktop, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.  Actually, I'd
prefer KDE, but I'm trying not to be very nit-picky on this machine.
If it works, I'll try to live with whatever GUI it has.

3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on
it if possible.  Again, I'll be Googling about that, but thought I'd
mention my progress on that old Hitachi box and where I am with it at
present.

Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated.

Lyle