Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 00:57:13 -0700
- From: Lyle H Saxon <email@example.com>
- Subject: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Lyle here - new to Debian. Any general advice about it? Is Iceweasel an acceptable browser, or would you recommend using something else, etc. Anyway, I'll be Googling and whatnot, but thought I'd mention that I got Debian 7.1 installed (via command line) on that Hitachi box with a non-Intel graphics chip that new versions of Ubuntu no longer support. Of note so far: 1) The installation took a Really Long Time. Not sure why that is, but "all's well that end's well", and it appears to be working okay so far. 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load", but I have a GUI desktop, so I'm not sure what that means exactly. Actually, I'd prefer KDE, but I'm trying not to be very nit-picky on this machine. If it works, I'll try to live with whatever GUI it has. 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on it if possible. Again, I'll be Googling about that, but thought I'd mention my progress on that old Hitachi box and where I am with it at present. Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated. Lyle
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Previous by thread: [tlug] JOB | Permanent Java Web Developer with GWT (Tokyo, Japan)
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links