Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:57:51 +0200 (CEST)
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
> Lyle here - new to Debian. Any general advice about it? Is Iceweasel > an acceptable browser Hi, Iceweasel sure is acceptable, it "is" Firefox, except for the name and logo, because "[..]the artwork in Firefox had a proprietary copyright license which was not compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines", see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project > 1) The installation took a Really Long Time. Same experience here. The Debian install appears to be much slower than the Ubuntu install, for example. But Debian is more focused on freedom, stability, and security. > 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the > installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load" The "GNOME shell" session needs special graphic features. Try to select "GNOME Classic" as default. You need to fine-tune your graphics to be able to run the fancy "GNOME shell". That's one reason why GNOME 3 is controversial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy_over_GNOME_3 I haven't used KDE for years. Here's one way to find KDE packages: $ apt-cache search kde It looks like the main package is 'kde-standard'. # apt-get install kde-standard to install KDE. > 3) I [..] want to get Japanese working on > it if possible. It's like for all distros. This page might help you start: https://wiki.debian.org/JapaneseEnvironmentE Regards, Sylvain
- Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- From: Lyle H Saxon
- [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- From: Lyle H Saxon
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Previous by thread: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links