Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:34:01 +0900
- From: Lyle H Saxon <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- References: <CACDLhbbQOXx_A=gS77bzbG7-cSLysxVy9E136j2RVXWQeH3UPA@mail.gmail.com> <168336776.63437599.1381226271486.JavaMail.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM, <email@example.com> wrote: > Iceweasel sure is acceptable, it "is" Firefox, except for the name > and logo, because "[..]the artwork in Firefox had a proprietary copyright > license which was not compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines", I thought it was remarkably similar to Firefox! So it *is* Firefox after all then. >> 1) The installation took a Really Long Time. > > Same experience here. The Debian install appears to be much slower > than the Ubuntu install, for example. But Debian is more focused on > freedom, stability, and security. Sounds good! Ubuntu and Kubuntu appear to be getting worse and worse. Higher and higher system requirements, lower reliability and more Weird Stuff in general. >> 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the >> installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load" > > The "GNOME shell" session needs special graphic features. Try to select > "GNOME Classic" as default. You need to fine-tune your graphics > to be able to run the fancy "GNOME shell". That's one reason why > GNOME 3 is controversial: Sounds like I got Gnome Classic accidentally (via old hardware), but that's fine with me. I hate new UI's, they all seem to be really horrible - designed for people poking fat fingers at huge icons on tiny screens.... > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy_over_GNOME_3 > > I haven't used KDE for years. Here's one way to find KDE packages: > > $ apt-cache search kde > > It looks like the main package is 'kde-standard'. > > # apt-get install kde-standard > > to install KDE. Probably thanks to its being an older version of Gnome, it doesn't seem so bad, so I may just stick with it. >> 3) I [..] want to get Japanese working on >> it if possible. > > It's like for all distros. This page might help you start: > https://wiki.debian.org/JapaneseEnvironmentE Thanks! Lyle
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links