Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 19:07:20 +0900
- From: Nigel Barker <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- References: <CACDLhbbQOXx_A=gS77bzbG7-cSLysxVy9E136j2RVXWQeH3UPA@mail.gmail.com>
On 8 October 2013 16:57, Lyle H Saxon <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > Lyle here - new to Debian. Any general advice about it? Is Iceweasel > an acceptable browser, or would you recommend using something else, Welcome! Iceweasel is fine. I also use chromium. >1) The installation took a Really Long Time. Not sure why that is, Net install? > 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the > installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load", but I have a GUI > desktop, so I'm not sure what that means exactly. Actually, I'd You are in gnome shell (is it called? anyway the fallback mode) because your graphics card couldn't handle 3d or something like that.. > prefer KDE, but I'm trying not to be very nit-picky on this machine. > If it works, I'll try to live with whatever GUI it has. You can install KDE, however if your machine is old, try LXDE. I use it on all my machines because people always give me computers so I never have new hardware. You have a choice of KDE, LXDE or XFCE from the "advanced" menu of the install. But anyway, just add them to gnome if you have disk space. I'm also playing with e17 on one of my laptops. > > 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on aptitude install ibus-anthy and all dependencies, then configure from the menu. You may also need ttf-vlgothic. > > Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated. Debian wiki is very good. Linuxquestions of course. Debian forums not that good, but sometimes OK. Here of course. cheers nigel
- [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- From: Lyle H Saxon
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links