Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 19:07:20 +0900
Nigel Barker <tech@example.com> wrote:
> >1) The installation took a Really Long Time.  Not sure why that is,
> Net install?

 Probably he installed Debian with English locale.
 debian-installer just guesses users location with its locale, and select
 corresponding mirror, so selected US mirror.

> > 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on
>
> aptitude install ibus-anthy and all dependencies, then configure from
> the menu. You may also need ttf-vlgothic.

 No, fonts-vlgothic. ttf-* is transitional package and gone.
 And fonts-ipafont-gothic/mincho package is also good.
 # Trust me, I'm those font package maintainer in Debian :)

 I recommend to use mozc, not anthy. mozc is "Google 日本語入力" opensource
 version, developed by some Japanese input experts in Google (and one developer
 was main developer for anthy). Unfortunately, anthy development has stopped
 over years.

 # also I'm anthy package maintainer for these 3 or 4 years, but think it
   as kind a legacy software... ;)

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org