Re: [tlug] Flash content plays double speed

On 09/23/2013 10:03 AM, Darren Cook wrote:
Good Morning C. As a thinking-out-of-the-box idea, how about a dedicated Skype machine?
I've had an HP Thin Client that runs XP doing that sole duty for about four years. I am trying to wean myself away from multiple PCs with dedicated duties as a way to simplify my life (yeah, sure). Problem has been that the 1GHz Sempron doesn't have the horsepower for the newer camera and headset and the cordless Pioneer handset I'd been using (the one with drivers for Skype 1.7 included in the box) isn't being supported any longer -- by either the hard- or software maker. I looked into a fanless case i3~i5 box with a small SSD or large USB drive but the numbers are still out there as far as justifying a new single purpose box. The TV also does Skype video but that seems like overkill.

I've used my Nexus 7 (*) for skype a couple of times now, and it works well. (The main issue is the front-facing camera: to hold it where I can see the screen, the camera tends to give a close-up of half my face; holding it back to show my face and now the screen and microphone are quite a way away... but I think you are doing audio-only?) Darren *: I've had an almost-finished review to post for over a week now. Soon... real soon...
I have several contacts who use iPhones and various Android devices for voice + cam and it all seems a bit silly to me as they try to lay on the couch and hold their phone out at arm's length ... but I am of an age where I think one hand held device should do one thing well and not a bunch of half-assed things just good enough to pass.

Curmudgeonly yours .....

--
CL