Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:22:34AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Lyle H Saxon writes:
>  > On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>  > > This is Kubuntu 12.04, LTS standard desktop, correct?
>  >
>  > Yes, although in contrast to the one I finally got going (which was
>  > Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, installed in Japanese), this one began life as
>  > Kubuntu 12.04.0 LTS as an English install some time ago.  It seems as
>  > though the problem now it how to get it switched over, since IBus is
>  > running..?
>
> Actually, I would say the problem is to get *you* switched over to a
> different distro.
>
> The fact is that Kubuntu 12.04 LTS is broken (Scott's post on his
> experience with Kubuntu install convinced me of that).  Scott, who is
> willing to dig into the ancient hair of XMODIFIERS ("Sadako 3D,"
> anyone?) still didn't manage to get ibus to run at boot.[1]  That's
> just plain *wrong*.

As Stephen says in the footnote, I didn't try very hard--well, at all--to
get it running at boot. With RH based distributions and openbox, it seems
to put itself into /etc/xdg somewhere, to start, at least whenever openbox
starts.  In FreeBSD, with dwm, I would manually start it when needed.

I suspect that it might be an easy thing for someone used to Kubuntu, or
even KDE, but my main interest was in why Lyle was finding it so difficult,
but, at least for me, who never uses KDE, it was, if not really difficult,
not quite trivial either.  In Lubuntu and Ubuntu, it seems to me that if
it's added, it then starts at reboot.

> You have three plausible upgrade paths.  One is to use the LTS of a
> different flavor of *buntu, a second is to revert to the previous LTS
> of Kubuntu (assuming it worked, but maybe not -- ISTR a similar
> oo-sawagi about that one), and the third is to try the current release
> of Kubuntu.

Yes, in the Lubuntu that was easy, it was the 13.04 version, so it may be
easier in later Kubuntus as well.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6