Re: [tlug] [OT] French cuisine

On 05/30/2012 09:21 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
8>< schnitt

I had a quite different experience:
10 days in the outskirts of London. The only places to eat were two pubs,
a chinese, an indian and a turkish. I'm not a fan of indian food (too
much of a spice potpouri for my taste) and the chinese was.. edible
at best... The pubs... well, they were pubs...
In the end i ate every day at the turkish. After making clear that i
was turkish myself i got various dishes not on the menu in sizes that
were of turkish scale :-)

Ditto for me in several places in France and Germany:

- I did a project for a Japanese client in Paris that required me to live there for a couple of months. Remembering a bit of Khmer and being able to communicate in passable Mandarin went a long way toward getting shown the "real" menu and food that was much different than what the French patrons were getting. In one very dirty-but-excellent Cambodian restaurant in the dirty district below Montmartre, I was told that they'd added the cost of my dinner to several of the bills of the "white people" around me and that it was on the house.

- The only place I have had food poisoning was at an upscale "Korean" yakiniku restaurant in the Paris suburbs. Except the staff spoke Thai.

- I have traveled in the UK, France and Germany with a Japanese client who can "pass" as a Chinese and holds a Chinese residence card. He speaks a number of different Chinese dialects and, when he hears what the serving staff are speaking switches to a dialect from the same or a close-by area. Suddenly, the menu is different and the manager comes out and apologizes that they've had to change the taste of the regular fare for the ignorant "foreigners" but there is "real" food in the back.

- Then again, if you speak passable German, there are a couple of places in Tokyo and Narita (the town, not the airport) that will give you a different menu than the one the host nationals are picking from, as well.

YMMV, naturlich ...

--
CL