Re: [tlug] [OT] French cuisine

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:59 AM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> - I have traveled in the UK, France and Germany with a Japanese client
> who can "pass" as a Chinese and holds a Chinese residence card.  He
> speaks a number of different Chinese dialects and, when he hears what
> the serving staff are speaking switches to a dialect from the same or a
> close-by area.  Suddenly, the menu is different and the manager comes
> out and apologizes that they've had to change the taste of the regular
> fare for the ignorant "foreigners" but there is "real" food in the back.
>
> - Then again, if you speak passable German, there are a couple of places
> in Tokyo and Narita (the town, not the airport) that will give you a
> different menu than the one the host nationals are picking from, as well.

Sorry to map your experiences to yet another country -- *but*
something similar happened to me with a Chinese restaurant in
Melbourne.  They have an English menu and a separate Chinese menu.
While the dishes might differ slightly, the main problem is that for
dishes that are the same, the prices differ.  Yes, the ones on the
Chinese menu were lower.  Caught them once and never went back to that
restaurant again...

"Good" to hear that this sort of thing happens everywhere...  :-(

Ray