Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> I got my original connection a lot earlier when they were doing an
> initial fiber push.  At that time they were offering a dedicated 100Mbit
> connection to first time users for the cost of a shared family type
> connection.

I bet you got it when it's still run by TEPCO (Tokyo Electricity &
Power).  At the time they had one of the fastest fiber service you can
get (judging by throughput records that are listed at bandwidth-checking
sites). Their network business got bought out by KDDI and KDDI has been
trying to migrate people to its own network since.  There has been some
reports of, em, 'enthusiastic' pushing by its subcontractors, possibly
to earn a commission.

I do not use either of them, so I can't report on the actual
performance and such.  If you can read Japanese, reports of the
(recently started) gigabit plan users have started trickling into 2ch:

http://pc11.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/isp/1207651398/

>From what I glanced, a lot of people still swear by their "type t" (as
the TEPCO service has come to be known) service for various reasons
(e.g. throttling on KDDI's service, not sure if that is true, and not
being forced into 1 type of router and such)

Here's another review in Japanese.  The reviewer was able to get
300+Mbps Up and Down using Mac OS X on a checking site.

http://bb.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/shimizu/23798.html

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>